Tuesday 15 May 2012

Things

What kinds of things do you remember about certain people? Your grandmother? Dad? Uncle? Sister? There are certain things that we remember the people in our lives by. I always wonder how we're attached to (or repulsed by) varying objects or actions that hold a special significance or memory of someone. Here are some of my memories:

I always remember my grandmother coming to visit and unloading our dishwasher quietly before anyone was out of bed in the morning. And she would always ask, first thing, what we wanted for breakfast after giving hugs. 

My great-grandmother always had new dresses with the Belk price tags laying on her guest bed. She never wore them.

My dad taught me how to vacuum the "right way" and would pretend to screen calls from my "agent," Rex, when I played movie star with a homemade cardboard cell phone with a Capri Sun straw antenna.

I went to a friend's house last week and used her family's Juice-o-mat to squeeze limes for our rhubarbaritas. I'd never seen one of these contraptions, but it was so easy to use and a definite workhorse for squeezing citrus. She told me it was her husband's mother's from ages ago when she made them fresh squeezed orange juice for breakfast. Another memory.


Drink up!

So I went looking on eBay for it and found one. Now to get into bidding! It's stuff like this that really makes me wonder what kinds of things I do or have in my own family that I'll be remembered by.


The Juice-o-mat!



No comments:

Post a Comment