Tuesday 28 January 2014

108

Without sounding too "woo woo" about numerology, astrology, energy fields, etc., I want to let you in on something about me:  I really dig that shit. Whether or not it's just me being superstitious, I think learning about these things gives some good food for thought.  Take what you want and leave the rest.  That's what most people do with organized religion, right?

I recently gave in my resignation from Kids Path.  My last day is May 15, 2014.  I know most of you are thinking, "Why the hell is she submitting her resignation NOW?  She's shooting herself in the foot."  Well, for you naysayers and finger-waggers, the three plus month resignation date is a means for planning--for me as I figure out what's next and for my employers so they can make sure they've got some coverage for the things we planned for the spring.

Why May 15th?  The date adds to the number 9, which is my personal number.  It's also a number that signifies endings.  05/15/2014:  0 + 5 + 1 + 5 + 2 + 0 +1 + 4 = 18 --> 1 + 8 = 9  The next day (5/16/2014) is a 1--a good number for beginnings.  Look at this woo woo site for more about it.  In other words, I'm going full circle--endings to beginnings.

And yesterday I had an idea.  With all the anxiety I've been feeling about wanting to leave Greensboro and waffling over my job, I thought a yoga challenge would provide something positive to focus on and help me get into a better head/heart/body/spirit space.  But how many days to do this challenge?  And then it came to me: 108.  I have exactly 108 days until I leave my job.  And 108 is a sacred number that also corresponds to my own sacred number 9 (1 + 0 + 8 = 9).  It all adds up.  Yoga every day for 108 days.  It doesn't have to be pretty.  I don't have to do yoga for a set amount of time.  I just need to get to class or do a home practice once a day until May 15, 2014.

A little more about numbers and yoga...  108 is an auspicious number in numerology.  Check it out.  In yoga, a mala consists of asanas (postures) that flow with the breath.  Each vinyasa (movement with breath) is like a bead on a strand.  When yogis talk about a yoga mala they may be referring to a series of 108 sun salutations done to mark the change of seasons or a transition time. The 108 salutations are a reflection of the 108 prayer beads found on a japa mala used in Hinduism.  Here's more about malas.




This 108 day challenge is my way of reflecting on my time in Greensboro before I officially say goodbye.  It's also a time to make some meaning out of my experiences here--specifically my purpose, grad school, working at Kids Path, and my personal emotional/spiritual work.  Doing this challenge is a way for me to come "full circle" in the midst of a lot of transition.  I can't guarantee that I'll write about each day of yoga, but perhaps every day I will write one word or phrase that comes to mind when I think about my time in Greensboro.

Today the word is serendipitous.

No comments:

Post a Comment